#GettyImagesInc. #prisoncell #NewYorkPostCompany #no-cutformat
#2023 #digest #will #golf #rory #heritage #zalatoris #mcilroy #news
PGA’s response to the LIV Golf has not been smooth. The latest came this week as Rory McIlroy withdrew from the RBC Heritage Open, one of the PGA Tour’s 17 designated events this year. McIlroy’s decision came after he missed the cut with a disappointing 4-for two rounds at The Masters. Many questioned wisdom of planning a designated event with a $20 million purse week after first major tournament of season. Rory McIlroy missed the sale at the Masters. Source McIlroy had previously withdrawn from Sentry Tournament of Champions, the first designated event of season. Unless there is a legitimate medical reason, McIlroy may forfeit a percentage of Player Impact Program award, which goes to the players with most fan engagement on social media. He claimed $12 million for placing second to Tiger Woods last year. McIlroy was featured in Netflix’s “Full Swing” documentary and expressed surprise that events set at the cast meeting in August, when Tour’s future was scheduled, were mandated. Rory McIlroy withdrew from the RBC Heritage Open. AFP and Source AFP “I don’t know if Jay conveyed this to you but it’s mandatory [item] – there was a lot of backlash to that by the guys in the room,” McIlroy told PGA Tour manager Andy Pazder. “They were kind of taken by surprise. We knew there would be four new upgraded events, but we didn’t know they would be mandatory.'” McIlroy may not be only one tired of the torment of new PGA Tour format. Jordan Spieth blamed some questionable decisions at The Masters for “playing too much golf”. “I think I’ve played a lot of golf about it,” said Spieth, who is on the course at RBC Heritage, according to Golf Digest. I’ve been playing golf a lot recently – well, eight weeks out of ten. So this week I need to change my schedule to be a little bit sharper. Jason Day, Will Zalatoris , and Alex Noren also withdrew from RBC. Rory McIlroy and caddy Harry Diamond walk on course 18 in the second round of the 2023 Masters Tournament. Christian Petersen Source More controversial changes are coming for the PGA Tour in 2023. Most importantly, the designated events will be limited to 70-80 players and will be a seamless format. This disappointed some players who felt they would be kicked out of season’s most lucrative tournaments as the PGA Tour catered to stars. When rule changes were announced in March, McIlroy said, “There will be some players in the membership who feel aggrieved because they can’t get into events they’ve historically gotten into.” “But there’s one thing that changes that, and it’s just hitting the scores. It’s a merit-based system, it’s always been that way and it always will be. The players who play and score best are the ones who will benefit from changes.” The RBC Heritage Open will kick off Thursday at Harbor Links in Hilton Head, S.C.