Donald Trump. Image via: Cliff Hawkins/ Getty Images The holiday atmosphere at Mar-a-Lago took on a jarring tone when President Donald Trump shifted from announcing the death of a young National Guard member to celebrating another golf win. Speaking to service members during a Thanksgiving call, he confirmed the passing of 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot near the White House a day earlier. Hours later, he addressed reporters and highlighted what he described as his 38th club championship, creating a sharp contrast that immediately defined the day’s narrative.The president’s timeline raised fresh attention to how he balanced the tragedy with his enthusiasm for a new golf achievement. While offering condolences during the call, Trump also bragged about his reputation as a scratch golfer. The quick pivot set the stage for renewed debate about his long-standing claims in the sport, which have faced intense scrutiny for years.
Trump RESPONDS After Europe’s Golf Star Rory Mcllroy ‘MOCKS’ Him Following Ryder Cup Win | WATCH
Donald Trump praises his golf win after confirming Sarah Beckstrom’s deathDuring his Thanksgiving remarks, Trump detailed what he said was his latest victory at one of his clubs, insisting that “every one legitimately” counted toward his growing total. He said he defeated a 27-year-old competitor and reiterated that he plays at “around scratch or better.” His comments came not long after he informed troops that Beckstrom had “just passed away” following Wednesday’s shooting in Washington, D.C., where guardsmen were deployed as part of his crime-focused initiative.“She’s just passed away. She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down at us right now,” Trump said during the call. The president went on to describe Beckstrom as a “highly respected, young, magnificent person” who was “savagely attacked.”The suspect, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, was also wounded and remains under heavy guard. Beckstrom’s fellow guardsman, Andrew Wolfe, 24, is still hospitalized in critical condition, authorities said.Rick Reilly’s allegations resurface as Trump defends his golf recordTrump’s insistence that his titles are “legitimate” revived attention on author Rick Reilly’s 2019 book, Commander in Cheat, which challenged the accuracy of those claims. Reilly has long argued that Trump “will do anything to cheat,” recounting personal experiences and stories from caddies and fellow players. “He took seven mulligans,” Reilly once said, adding he even witnessed Trump take a “give me chip-in.”The Trump campaign has forcefully dismissed those accusations. Spokesperson Steven Cheung previously said Reilly “fantasizes about having a golf game as good as President Trump,” arguing the author exaggerated for attention.Even so, stories from longtime golf insiders continue to circulate. At Winged Foot, caddies reportedly nicknamed Trump “Pele” for allegedly kicking balls into better positions. Bryan Marsal, a veteran member, recalled Trump once telling him, “See me? I cheat. And I expect you to cheat because we’re going to beat those two guys today.”Trump’s recent remark on golf right after announcing Sarah’s demise has raised eyebrows as two contrasting news stories came from the President, as Americans mourn the tragedy. Recently, it was reported that Donald Trump is planning to bring the next G-20 summit to his private golf resort in Miami. By hosting world leaders at Trump National Doral, he places his own business at the center of an event that usually reflects international cooperation, not individual branding.Also Read: Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka chooses a luxury London setting for a heartfelt proposal to Tolami Benson as he gets engaged after five years
